Early Thoughts about the layout of Blackgate

 To control the workflow, I have some sketch ideas of what the dungeon looks like (Albit, no cross section - yet.)

It will have around 11 major levels going down (and various sublevels) though not all the levels will be as big as a footprint as level 1.   Levels 10 and 11 have connections the the underdark/mythic underworld.  

The upper areas of the dungeon (Levels 1-4) are separated from the lower dungeon (6-11) by the underground goblin city of Blackgate (Level 5).  Levels 1-4 is going to have the occasional weirdness, but it really the deeper levels that I will be throwing the oddball stuff.

Kara's Point will be a reasonably fast production -- I have a older PDF called "Village of Bex" that I made years ago, full of Typos and whatnot, that i will be converting to OD&D (S&W complete) and cleaning up and doing some improvements on, but 80% of that work is already there since I used Bex in various guises as a starter town for over a decade.  

I am also starting to create the factions of Blackgate, ranging from the usual clans of Humanoid and beast races, to wizards, trolls, to some newer races in the depths. 

I am going to focus on mapping for a bit, I plan to have things like a Key found in level 1 opening a gate in level 3 - and learned from the past it best to go ahead and mark which one then go forward and forget about it and clean up "what does this key go to" issues. 

Comments

Popular Posts